AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Doc Holiday, might be looking for Big Nose Katie
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Russ In Idaho
Posted 5/15/2023 05:14 (#10229574 - in reply to #10229458)
Subject: RE: Doc Holiday, might be looking for Big Nose Katie

“These are the times that try men's souls.”
Glad to see your still kicking Ed. I figured you was going south for winters and golfing. I agree 100% with your comments on those calf's not amounting to their potential. This year saw a lot of navel ill, infection in people's calves. My son the vet got called to take a look at a bunch. It manifested itself in calf's front knees.

I would love to hold bulls out to the first June, but our deal is they have to be off ranges on May 1. So we have to have calves up and going to trail, and branded before that. Putting bulls in May 20 has really been the best for ranges and cattle. However you're going to get caught sometime like we did this year.

This one calf I posted pic of, the lungs are shot. Going back though records he was lucky or should I say unlucky to make it. Tried every drug, didn't work at a early age.

The one thing that makes me shake my head is the number of navel infections during that time frame in cold frozen weather. That's something we just don't deal with here. Too dry of country for the most part. And cattle are spread out.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)