AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Construction labor cost
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

oldbones
Posted 5/13/2023 18:32 (#10227841 - in reply to #10227402)
Subject: RE: Construction labor cost

Floyd County, Iowa
I'm well aware of how contracting works. Was in the construction business for over 25 years.
Contractors usually get a percentage of the materials. This helps make up for the time they spend looking at jobs, making estimates, tools, time giving free advice, running after miscellaneous items, etc, that you just can't send a bill for. If they don't get that, they have to increase their labor rate. Been that way forever.
I had one that made his own material list (the way it should be), dropped it off at different places for materials "bids", compared them and gave the results to the customer. He wanted the prices listed at net pricing (no discounts). The customer knew ahead of time that the materials were paid for by the customer, and the contractor added his percentage to the labor bill. This was far and away the best way to do it.
You must think they are biting a fat hog in the a$$. If you don't trust your contractor, why in hell would you hire him? Because he's cheaper than "Billy Bob's Neighborhood Nailbenders"? You wouldn't work for someone that doesn't trust you, and neither would I. You get what you pay for, and usually get what you deserve. Do it yourself and keep all that money. I can't get over how guys try to squeeze the penny on important things, worrying that someone would make a profit, but blow big bucks on play things.
Rant over.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)