AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Corn for grazing
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Alberta Cowman
Posted 5/12/2023 00:29 (#10225721 - in reply to #10225119)
Subject: RE: Corn for grazing

Be careful. It is addictive and will free up a bunch of time at feeding.

I was in your shoes about 25 years ago.

My first foray into grazing corn I just blended it with fertilizer and broadcasted and cultivated it in. It actually worked pretty good.

After that I used a 6” space disc drill with 2/3 of the runs taped off so an 18” spacing. It worked pretty well.

Now I have a 22” planter and I’ve found it’s the best but certainly not required. I’m of the opinion that you use what you got.

I usually aim for 32,000 plants. Trying to calibrate the press drill was always fun.

For a ballpark fertilizer recommendation I’d suggest treating it like barley silage and go 30-40% higher rate due to the higher tonnage. The first few years I grew it on tired old abused pasture and I put down 150-40-25-10 pounds of actual per acre. Now with the nutrient cycling I’ve scaled way back and last year only needed 50#N per acre on most of my ground.

I seed it on some gumbo ground and it does well however don’t put it on cold and wet ground. Seems like once it’s stunted it’s set back for the whole season. I go at 1.5-2.5” deep in moisture.

Up here usually moisture and heat are the limiting factors. I can’t say I’ve had too much moisture yet. Not sure about irrigation as I don’t have any experience.

It can be interesting to see the differences between varieties.

Best of luck.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)