AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Raven scs460
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 5/6/2023 03:22 (#10217684 - in reply to #10217545)
Subject: RE: Raven scs460

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
A replacement for your wheel sensor is still likely available. My first Raven systems used them and they were generally quite reliable. If your cable is damaged it might be possible to save your unit. If the damage is right where the cable goes into the sensor than a complete new sensor is needed or go with another type. If the damage is back away from the block that is the sensor, I have often just cut the cable at that point and discarded the damaged area. I then install a Raven speed connector on the sensor and the mate on the cut off cable. These two are connected together to make the connection. This repair could be done other ways but using the Raven connectors is best. Making this repair is not difficult but generally requires someone with experience, access to connectors and the wiring pattern. I've seen many of these that were done poorly and caused future problems.

Switching to the GPS hockey puck speed only device is very common and can work well. There are different brands and different style connectors. One style uses the 4 pin AMP connectors such as used with planter monitors. You want the style that will plug into the back of the Raven. It will have at least one loose extra "red" wire. This wire needs to be connected to a switched 12V source as it provides 12V that the GPS hockey puck device needs.

These GPS speed only devices produce a speed signal like those of a radar gun. The very oldest Raven 440s, 450s and 460s were designed to work with the ground speed sensors such as you have. If you used them with a radar gun or now a GPS device, you had to use an extremely small speed cal number such as 6 or 7 to be in the correct ballpark for speed. This made it difficult to fine tune the speed cal to get accurate speed readings.

Later Raven added a second speed choice. The original slower speed devices used a setting named SP1. If you use a faster speed device such as radar or GPS then you used a setting named SP2. This allowed you to use larger speed cal numbers such as 612, 735 etc. to better fine tune the speed cal.

That situation is really quite unlikely for you but is possible if your 460 is extremely old. If your display has a single long window for data then you are fine. If it is older and has two windows for data you might still be fine.

If when your 460 loses its memory and your see US then your are fine. You would then need to choose US (United States measurements of gallons, acres), SP2 (radar or GPS) and C-SD (Control type Standard).

The 460s that could be a problem are older than most readers of AgTalk.

Edited by tedbear 5/6/2023 07:15
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)