AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Salt, blood pressure and insulin sensitivity
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

John Burns
Posted 5/5/2023 06:47 (#10216549)
Subject: Salt, blood pressure and insulin sensitivity

Pittsburg, Kansas

Too much salt? Too little salt? Maybe not what we have been told for many years about its effect on blood pressure.

Dr Benjamin Bikman, research professor that specializes in insulin research (a hero to this diabetic - I have learned so much from him about my disease)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJMF6I6NYNY

Cut salt to lower blood pressure? Not according to this controlled trial.

I've never attempted to reduce my salt intake. When going low carb four years ago we actually increased our salt intake from table salt (the salt shaker) based on what we heard and read from other researchers (the book "The Salt Fix" and a number of interviews the author did on Youtube). But we cut out basically all boxed and pre-prepared foods that tend to have quite a lot of salt added. So if we actually increased our salt or just the salt we were aware of and really just replaced the processed food salt with the salt shaker on the table, I have no real idea. We may be eating more or less salt than before. We do use the salt shaker liberally and salt to taste, which is a considerable amount of salt.

My wife gets leg cramps if she has too little salt.

Edit: one interview of DiNicolantonio, author of "The Salt Fix".   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPy4TArgRuY
Tells how we got the "lower salt diet is better" medical dogma (spoiler - poor research). Interesting info about magnesium and blood pressure at minute 36 or 37.
Wife and I like Redmond's Real Salt which is an unrefined (not bleached) salt.

Edited by John Burns 5/5/2023 07:43
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)