AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

1979 ford 400 engine
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Where Can I find?????Message format

kipps
Posted 4/28/2023 09:33 (#10206814 - in reply to #10206660)
Subject: RE: 1979 ford 400 engine

Madison Co. Virginia
buenymayor - 4/28/2023 09:02

What is the intended use for this engine? The biggest mistake people make when building a performance engine is the BIBS (Bigger Is Better) mentality. You will see nowhere near 100HP out of larger valves unless this is a maximum effort, highly tuned engine where the valve size is your limiting factor, and if that is the case, you wouldn't be asking that kind of question in the first place. If this is for a pickup truck or street performance, forget about the max HP number and concentrate on the torque you can get out of it in the rpm range you will run it. Torgue is what accelerates you, not HP.

Agree. This is a common theme in the LS-swap groups. A newbie will show up and say, "I have a 6.0; what do I need to do to get it to 500 horsepower?" For 98% of the folks out there, HP is only a bragging number. It does nothing for seat-of-the-pants performance. There's a few smaller adjustments someone can do to get more torque out of a LS engine, but generally speaking, the factory setup is the best for a spirited daily driver.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)