AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Losing weight without counting calories
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

John Burns
Posted 4/1/2023 07:18 (#10167465 - in reply to #10167133)
Subject: eat less move more

Pittsburg, Kansas

I did that about 42 years ago and it worked. Don't remember how much I lost but probably around 15-20 pounds, what I probably needed at the time to get back to a resonable weight. I simply cut my portion size and started roller scating at a scating rink about 10-20 hours a week. If I went to McDonalds I chose a smaller burger and small fries instead of a quarter pounder and large fries.

"Eat less and move more" works to lose weight.

The problem is I put 2-3#'s back on over the ensuing 35 years and became 100 pounds overweight.

The problem with "eat less and move more" is it does nothing about hormones (insulin and glucagon) nor satiety and hunger. When I was doing the eating less, I was hungry most of the time. So as soon as I got off the program, the weight came right back on. If a person does not mind being hungry all the time for the rest of their life, eat less and move more will work.

Then 4 years ago wife and I started low carb. We have never limited the amount we eat. We just limit "what" we eat. If we do have someting higher in carbs we do limit our portions of that particular item, but we eat all we want of meat and other low carb things.

Going low carb made all the difference in the world. We do not ever go hungry. Our insulin levels are low (mine in single digits last insulin assay I had) so we are in fat burning mode most of the time, unlike high carb diets with high insulin levels are in glucose burning mode. High glucose blood loads cause an over abundant amount of insulin (either by the body or like I used to with insulin shots) that causes the blood to get back to safe levels but also will cause a "rebound effect" where the blood sugar goes a little low creating the brain to give hunger signals. That is why that sugary breakfast makes a person want a mid morning "snack" to keep going.

Low carb is not really a diet as such. It is a lifestyle. If I were to go back to eating the way I used to I would be hungry, eating more often because of it, put the weight back on and be back on diabetic medicine, blood pressure medicine and insulin shots.

No thanks. No eat less and move more for me. I eat all I want at meals and am not hungry between meals. Low carb has worked for me for four years now. Wife had done numerous diets over the last 40 years of marriage. She would always lose a few pounds, have a relapse, and gain it all back. Hungry all the time while on the diet. She also has lost a bunch of weight and kept it off the last 4 years also.

Eat less and move more does not take into account hormone and satiety signals. A low carb diet automatically takes care of these problem signals that the modern food we eat causes us to want to eat more.

Now if I eat at McDonalds I order a couple quarter pounders (or three if I am hungry), throw away the bun and don't order any fries. I eat till I'm full, I just don't eat the high carb fries and bread bun and also skip the high sugar ketchup that I used to love. I'm full, yet I don't get hungry again for many hours.

Others results may vary. Some people might be able to limit consumption of higher carb foods and be able to handle it. Wife and I, through practical experience over 40+ years, couldn't. For us the insulin signals and brain signals to eat were just too powerful to avoid over the long game. Low carb addresses that problem.

Edited by John Burns 4/1/2023 07:36
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)