AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

12+ years low carb and low sugar...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

jwal10
Posted 3/29/2023 11:16 (#10163060 - in reply to #10161990)
Subject: RE: 12+ years low carb and low sugar...

Western Oregon
I have been off sugar and salt since 19. High blood pressure and having problems with inflammation. Born with stomach problems, stomach was removed as soon as they thought I might live and make a plan. Very premie. Dairy intolerant, goats milk 3 days after surgery. I had farm accident at 6, foot. Polio at 7. Roofing accident at 20, tendons in left hand, radiated out to forearm and shoulder. Polio relapse at 37. Had to quit farming. Took city job, never was able to work more than 20 hrs a week. Broke leg and ankle in 5 places, surgery, ended up having joint removed and fused 3 years after. 1 1/2" lift, all left side injuries, I was left hand dominate. Had to retire at 55. 5'3" 128 lbs. Crystal cataract surgery with complications. Eyes never worked together, brain got use to it but surgery and different lens messed that all up.

No sugar, no wheat, no gluten, very low carbs, whole foods. I just don't know how anyone does all meat or vegan. I eat a little red meat, mostly elk and venison, lots of fish, some chicken, eggs, no chemical cured meat. Vegetables, some wild rice, a few beans and oatmeal. We can some fruit in water and I grind a mix of walnuts, filberts and hickory nuts for nut butter that I eat on homemade gluten free crackers as dessert twice a week with canned fruit, in winter. I cook an apple or 2 for gluten free pancakes once a week. Maybe a touch of real maple syrup. I use a little raw honey as it helps with my allergies. Just cold spring water. Lemon and honey hot, a little in winter, more medicinal. I had problems with blood sugar in the past too but everything been great for the last 30 years. We use 1 small sea salt grinder a year, none for cooking, just somethings are not edible without salt. We find that adding on the plate, doesn't need much when it touches your tongue. We use companion planting in the gardens and use those herbs for flavoring. Very little spice, chili powder, onion and chives. Use mostly butter, one small bottle of virgin cold pressed olive oil a year. Salad dressing is whipped raspberries and crushed herbs, sprouts, tiny greens and a couple walnuts. Blueberries, huckleberries and dried cranberries. Boiled cranberries with an orange, no sugar, maybe a little honey. We eat what we can grow here. We make yogurt and soft cheese with goats milk. Use buttermilk for cooking. Desert is oatmeal/butter topped fresh fruit once a week. I can only eat about 1/4 cup at a meal. Eat slowly, 100 chews a bite. I have no way of making saliva, dry foods, have to add a sip of water, then more to swallow. I need calorie dense and high protein foods with fiber. I make no-salt smoked elk jerky, smoked fish and jerky and "modern" pemmican as snacks....James
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)