AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Equinox - and time changes
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Aussy Harold
Posted 3/21/2023 23:39 (#10151646)
Subject: Equinox - and time changes

North East Wimmera district of Victoria.

G'day -  seem to remember posts on the general topic of Equinox last Sept. But have not taken the time to look any up!

I wondered on NAT why the times for Sunrise and Sunset were not moving apart  "in sync" as it were, and some knowledgeable NAT'ers explained to do with the fact that the earth does not move in a precise path around the sun. The imprecise movement accounted for [I think] Sunrise changing quite a bit in time before Sunset did at all.

Obviously the March Equinox has just passed - and I am presuming the following is explained by the same 'imprecise' movement.

I would have thought that "Equinox" would have precisely 12 hrs of Sun-up, and 12 hrs of Sun-down.

But at 36 Deg South the Bureau of Meteorology informed me [ via an App] that on 21st March we had 12 hrs and nine minutes of sun above the horizon.

Today the BoM informs me that Sunrise time is 7.33am, and Sunset time is  7.39pm  [both in Eastern Aust Daylight Saving time]. So still 12 hrs and 6 minutes today.

Another point is that the times show me that where I live is more than half an hour WEST of where the time is set.  [though what is below proves it should be 28 minutes off "true time".]

Eastern Australian Time is taken from the line of Longitude through Gabo Island - the most easterly point of the State of Victoria.. Just looked up longitudes!  Gabo is 149.91 deg.East, and my home town is 142.98 deg East.  So at 4 minutes [time] for every degree of the 360 we are 28 minutes out ALL year.

I must not have much to do, must I ?

Edited by Aussy Harold 3/21/2023 23:42
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)