AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Grain-fed vs. grass-fed beef - and AI view
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

John Burns
Posted 3/21/2023 07:21 (#10150423 - in reply to #10148090)
Subject: RE: Grain-fed vs. grass-fed beef

Pittsburg, Kansas
What little about actual testing I have seen, and I now can't remember where I got the information, is that when tested for nutrients there is a difference but the difference is really slight. So for purists that want only the very best and cost is not an issue, it is a little better in omega 3 and maybe some other stuff.

For mere mortals that just want to eat helthy and get 95% of the way to optimum regular grass started and grain finished will do just fine. My guess (and that is all it is) is that one can of sardines a week as a supplement or some other seafood would make up the difference.

One thing I note is that the ones pushing grass finished beef are a little lacking in the understanding of how cattle are raised. When they talk about grain finishing it is never mentioned that the cattle require a certain amount of roughage or in other words "grass" in the finishing ration. The grass might be in the form of hay or corn silage (and that corn is a "grass" plant) or some other roughage, but the cattle are not wholly just finished on grain. I suspect bad things would happen if that were attempted with a ruminant. So I think there is definitely a knowledge gap with the ones that have picked up the mantra of grass finished is the only way to eat.

I personally don't worry about it. Eating any meat is still loads better than eating some starchy processed food out of a box filled with sugar and vegetable oils. I have not lived my life to perfection to this point and I doubt if I get there anytime soon.

That is my personal opinion only.

I will not even attempt to jump into the AI fray. Ok I will and say this. I kind of look at it as the replacement for the old "World Book Encyclopedia" of my youth. Information out of it only as good as the input of the authors/programmers and their bias.

Edited by John Burns 3/21/2023 07:28
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)