AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Low or no salt diet.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

John Burns
Posted 3/23/2023 07:06 (#10153443 - in reply to #10153266)
Subject: RE: Low or no salt diet.

Pittsburg, Kansas
Pretty much what the author of "The Salt Fix" says. Only a small percentage of the population salt makes any difference in blood pressure and even in those the amount is rather modest.

Cut out most of the carbs and the excess water goes with it. Excess fluid will cause blood pressure to go up. Low carb diets often need additional salt to make up for all the salt that is in processed foods that they now are avoiding because of the carbs.

There was one epidemilogic study that showed there was a rather wide sweet spot as far as longivity was concerned. The "too much" side of the curve went up only gradually while the "too little" side went up more pronounced. In other words, it was better, for long life, to err on the high side of salt consumption rather than the low side.

There are probably legitimate reasons to be on a low salt diet for medical reasons. If my doctor told me I needed to cut my salt I would definitely be asking him "why" and his answer better be pretty good. If it is just a general statement that he tends to tell his old patients, he may be old himself and has not kept up on the scientific tests. Most people, based on research, don't need to be on a low salt diet. Yet that seems to be what was pushed for at least half my lifetime.

Medical dogma changes slowly. A lot of it was based on "expert opinion" and hypothesis, not actual studies.

Edited by John Burns 3/23/2023 07:20
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)