AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Question for John Burns Keto
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

John Burns
Posted 3/9/2023 10:40 (#10130844 - in reply to #10130433)
Subject: RE: Question for John Burns Keto

Pittsburg, Kansas
Blood test meter is the most accurate.

Early on can use urine strips, but once the body is "fat adapted" it learns to use most or all of the ketones and little extra is spilled over into the urine. So after a while the urine strips might indicate no ketones, yet you could be producing a lot and the body is just using them all quickly. Not "wasting" them out the urine.

Nearly everyone, even diabetics with insulin resistance, will be in nutritional ketosis after several days if keeping the total carbs under 20 grams per day. Someone metabolically healthy could do it probably with less than 50 grams per day total carbs.

If the body is burning fat, a person is producing ketones. Everyone produces some all of the time.

I don't check mine any more. It is kind of interesting to do so to begin with as it tells a person for sure they are fat adapted. There are different thoughts but most recognize if ketones are above .5 a person is in nutritional ketosis. Most people will register .2 or so no matter what they eat. Some gurus promote getting high ketones, up around 2 or 3, but that is questionable. Might be a good idea if a person has cancer or auto immune disease they are trying to help. Or to minimize the bad effects of chemo therapy. But the body utilizes ketones quickly and if a person is utilizing them efficiently I see no reason for levels to be particularly high as the body will use them quickly after producing them, thereby taking them out of the bloodstream.

Edited by John Burns 3/9/2023 10:42
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)