AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

low carb breakfast ideas
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

martin
Posted 2/25/2023 08:38 (#10111777 - in reply to #10110477)
Subject: RE: scrapple

Our family did our own butchering when I was a kid.  We made Ponhaus.  Some people interchangeably use those terms - scrapple and ponhaus; some people say they are different. I dunno.

As I recall, Ponhaus/ scrapple was how we used meat off the cooked bones. Yes, we added cornmeal in.  Corn meal was basically used to thicken it up. If you can find a thickening agent that is low carb, maybe find a recipe and make your own.  

If you look on Allrecipes or Cooks.com or any other online recipe website, you should be able to find a recipe for scrapple or ponhaus.  Or find and purchase a "Pennsylvania Dutch" cookbook. I am sure you will find a recipe in those kinds of cookbooks.  These should give a starting point to make your own.

edit: my impression is there are many variations of how to make ponhaus/scrapple.  My sister and her family currently butcher and make ponhaus.  Their end product is not the same as what we made in our family growing up.  Here are two recipes from other sources:  Food Network and Food.com .  Here is a recipe from The Spruce Eats.   When we made it, we didn't add all those extra seasonings.  As I recall, we made it with cooked meat from the bones, added salt and pepper, and corn meal. I think you could use this as a starting point and develop your own recipe.

A thought occurred to me: what is the carb content of rice flour? is it less than corn meal?  If so, maybe you want to try a substitution.... see how it works out. or maybe think of another thickening agent that you can substitute for the corn meal. Just a thought.

Edited by martin 2/25/2023 09:00
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)