AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Do women eat sardines?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

John Burns
Posted 2/12/2023 08:34 (#10090765 - in reply to #10090336)
Subject: Kipper Snacks

Pittsburg, Kansas
My wife likes the smoked herring better than sardines. I tried looking up sardines one time to see what kind of fish they are. As I recall they can be several different varieties and in fact some of them are actually herring that are just small size ones that fit in the can. The sardines I like the best that are in olive oil happen to be bigger fish that are filleted rather than the whole fish. More fish meat and less skin and guts. I'm no sardine expert. Maybe someone from the coast or who has researched it can give us a greater explanation of what constitutes a "sardine".

Have not been able to get the Brunswick brand in olive oil lately down here in Bonaire so I picked up a tin of Brunswick packed in water. Figured they would be the same but just packed in water rather than olive oil. Not so. They were good fish but a higher number of nearly whole fish rather than the fillets.

So I think the term "sardines" can cover a range of canned fish. But I have noticed once the fish gets to a certain size then it is often called by its fish name, like herring.

Here is the one she likes a little better than the sardines we buy.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KHMWQS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_...

At one of the grocery stores here they have a Chinese brand of sardines. Fairly large subpopulation of Chinese, mostly working in business, down here. I thought they might be pretty terrible but decided to get one tin packed in water just to give them a try. Tiny fish. Pretty strong. Decided that was enough of them, LOL.

Edited by John Burns 2/12/2023 08:38
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)