AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hamburger steak question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

John Burns
Posted 2/12/2023 08:46 (#10090783 - in reply to #10090442)
Subject: hamburger that is too dry

Pittsburg, Kansas
I would guess, but someone correct me if I am wrong, that the higher "cuts" of hamburger like ground sirloin could be like from a cull dairy cow. Not good enough of cut to really sell for a steak but the more prime cuts can be ground up and sold at a higher price by taking the better cuts and grinding them.

I could be all wet in that surmise though.

For me, it is all good. If hamburger gets too dry (very lean), I will put a pat of butter on top right before it comes off the grill to "fatten it up".

We have an old time steak house we eat at once in a while. If I got the hamburger or hamburger steak it was always very lean. They ground their own hamburger and cut their own steaks daily. I liked it but was so dry could hardly pick up the bites with a fork as it would fall apart when trying to stab it with the fork because of the lack of fat. I would have the wait bring us a dish of real butter patties and would melt two or three on the meat while/before eating it. They changed owners and changed their way of making the hamburger (no longer offer a hamburger steak, but I can get a half pound hamburger or double without the bun) because I think it is actually better now and not so dry.

85-15 is too dry. My wife does not particularly like the 73-27 because too much of the fat renders out while in the pan or on the grill. Her cooking preference is the 80-20 for good balance of cooking and consumption.

Edited by John Burns 2/12/2023 08:50
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)