AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Missing a digit
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

jwal10
Posted 2/13/2023 09:54 (#10092744 - in reply to #10092579)
Subject: RE: Missing a digit

Western Oregon
I still have all mine, well most of them and all my finger tips. I cut both tendons right at the base of index and long finger and 1 tendon in ring finger of left hand. Working on shop roof, cut on edge of roofing tin. I was 20. Doctor just sewed it up. A month later he was going on vacation so sent me to a different surgeon. He had to cut nearly to finger tip and to middle of palm to find tendons to reattach them.

Ended up having middle joints removed and fused in a curve so finger tips touch thumb. Later removed end joint in index finger. During the stretching fazes I had pins run in under finger nails 3 different times to hold position to stretch tendons. It messed up the finger nail and it has a perpetual hang nail. The finger has shrunk just bone and skin. The tension to stretch tendon, yes only 1 tendon in each finger, blew out the sheaths of both, had artificial sheaths installed, they blew out too. So much scar tissue. Hand has been cut from tip to middle of palm 3 times, zig zagging back and forth.. 26 surgeries total. Doctor said he could remove index finger and put artificial joints in long finger but I declined. Even though index finger is stiff from no joint I can touch to thumb and do almost anything I need to. Long finger has little feeling in finger tip, anymore. I still have 1st joint in long finger but I can not bend finger with tendon, tendon is stuck in sheath. So both fingers just stick out, not as bad as that month before surgery, that was awful, guess I have gotten used to it and don't run them into everything. That was always the problem, tendons never pulled, always adhered. Doctor told me that he made fingers to fit a beer can. Yes, he had a beer can in surgery. Over the years the tendons have shrunk. I can hold a pop can but when empty, it will not release anymore. Never drank beer. Over the years it has caused muscle loss and even shoulder joint damage. I can not raise my arm over my head and not enough strength to lift arm straight out from body. The muscles in forearm used for those tendons, have withered away. The wrist joint pulls down to 60 degree bend when relaxed....James
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)