AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Quonset building
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

MaineFarmer
Posted 1/25/2023 15:27 (#10059529 - in reply to #10059387)
Subject: RE: Quonset building

coast of Maine
I have had 2- 40x100 18 ft to ceiling.Was all I could afford back in the late 80 's.Spray foamed and really nice foundations we made to their specs.In a tornado I would run there.We built end walls studded and sheathed with wood.Put our doors there.They were used as produce coolers for long term Cabbage storage 8 months plus.That eventually got the $$ beaten out due to Canadian supplies.So we quit cabbage storages.Kept one as equip storage,next turned into apples cold storage.Super strong no maint buildings cheap.Well 5 years ago afire ripped thru one and out the other end,still standing after the fire.It was only structure out of 4 that took a gutting and stood.We cut thats sucker off at the footer and rebuilt a stick built building.Next one we turned into our shop out of drastic need.It is a great shop.Warm ,no drafts,plenty of room,we dont hang jack on the walls anyhow.Bettere than the stick built we had before.One issue as it designed as a cooler/freezer there is copious floor insulation so when its not heated it has zero ground heat and when its warm out zero ground temp cooling,,it does heat well though but we use wood furnace heat exchanger.So that thing is over 30 years old.I paid 12 grand in old dollars,had 8 grand in the mega concrete then,10 grand in 4 inches of spray foam,,it will last well beyond. me being dead,never will paint or roof it ever.Never ever.So in 1980 dollars 30 grand all in,I did pay 4 grand for several feet of blasted ledge to raise pad up to be close to same height as the first.Would I again ? Yes,but I and my crew have not the time to assemble now ,,but did then..What happened? Got bigger ,,it gets easier you know,,,,Not
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)