AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hog barn flooring
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

John Burns
Posted 2/6/2023 06:00 (#10080900 - in reply to #10080706)
Subject: RE: Hog barn flooring

Pittsburg, Kansas
When I was a small kid, maybe 7 or 8, my dad always kept a few sows and sold weaning size pigs. Back then a bunch of farmers or other rural people would buy a few pigs at a time to fatten them for butcher.

My dad always kept and liked the Yorkshire sows because they were gentle and saved the pigs well as well as had good size litters. But for some reason we had one Berkshire. All were farrowed in outside pens with just a roof over their head or a small shed. The reason I remember the Berkshire was one day I was looking at her eating pecans. She happened to be in a small shed that was under a pecan tree. She had a litter of pigs at the time. I always wanted to play with the pigs, but knew better because I knew what happens when a pig squeals and the sow gets mad. Anyway I am watching the sow and pigs through the fence and about that time a half grown cat ambles along with no concern in the world. The Berkshire non-chalantly grabs the cat, flips it in the air, and promptly swallows it. Right down the hatch. Hardly a sound. It just disappears. Something I had never seen before or since. The cat became pig chow with hardly a sound emitted.

Years later when in high school dad and I built a small farrowing house. The wild cats would always come in there in the winter for protection and would often see them curl up with the baby pigs under a heat lamp in a pig protection corner for warmth. But most of them were smart enough to know not to mess around the area of the sow.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)