AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Has anyone made a grain inventory database in Microsoft Access?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

gwagner
Posted 1/17/2023 10:52 (#10044743 - in reply to #10044654)
Subject: RE: Has anyone made a grain inventory database in Microsoft Access?

I know this doesn't answer your question but I have created a complete farm record keeping system. I am using Filemaker Pro. Like MS Access it is a relational database. The key for any good record keeping is to capture the data at the time the action happens. FileMaker is an Apple product, that works on your iphone, tablet, MS desktop (or apple desktop) and also has server component. Whether we are spraying, applying fertilizer, using the scale on our cart- recording every bushel that left the field (and how much is left in the bin when hauling to town) for examples. The data is collected by the employee responsible for that operation. In case I have an employee that is not very tech savvy, I create paper input sheet for him to fill out and turn in daily.

Since all our phones, tablets, desktop is linked to our Server, no data resides on our mobile devices and is backup daily. (advantage of this if a phone is lost or broken i will not lose any information).

In the last several years I have found over $26,000 in billing errors. Most of the errors was in custom applications. I don't think I would have pick up on it unless I was entering into our sprayer records. One time I got double billed for a pallet of chemical. I would not have picked up on this error except when I was looking at my chemical used summary report and 1 particular chemical I was billed twice as much as I know applied. That threw up a red flag.

The value of theses type of records is when you can look back. For example I have grain sales records and crop records that go back to 2002. I can quickly select all my soybeans sales and see what my average yield over that period of time. Or another example is to select a field and see what your rotation is and the average yields for each crop of that rotation

Another thing I do that might interest someone is scan all my grain assembly list sales and then attach that pdf to my grain record. So when I every need to prove my yield to federal crop, fsa office, or organization. It only takes me minutes to provide the data.

gary
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)