AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

rental eviction ?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Lookingglass
Posted 12/11/2022 16:30 (#9977718 - in reply to #9976105)
Subject: RE: rental eviction ?

Southwest Illinois
corn48 - 12/10/2022 16:08

I am in the process of eviction of a renter. 5 months back rent owed plus many legal bills from this whole mess. have anyone had much luck trying to have the lawyer try to recoup the damages or is it more $ in their pocket.

We have several rentals. In the last 30 years we have done 2 evictions, both wound up being forced set outs. The one 25 years ago we just left go, they didn't have anything to get and always job hopped so the prospect of getting wages garnished was limited at best and they will only garnish a percentage of gross wages so someone with minimal income could take decades to get your money out of. The last one was 4 years ago. It was a military family of 4 who then invited all their kids and grandkids to live with them. I was content getting them out but my father was heck bent on going after them(they did a fair amount of damage). The wife defended them in court and actually appealed to the appellate court. I was skeptical, but in the end I was wrong and we received judgment for missed rent, damages and set out expenses. Wound up being just under $25K. The husband was pretty high up in the air force so he had a good stable job. Gonna take about 2.5 years but this past summer we started getting $1100/mo in wage garnishment. I never expected that outcome. So my advice is if it is a large amount and they have a stable job you probably will do OK. If it is a few thousand and they have limited employment and/or job hop you probably should save your money and chalk it up as a loss.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)