AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Leasing a pickup vs buying
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

purplepride0
Posted 11/24/2022 10:32 (#9947723 - in reply to #9947059)
Subject: RE: Leasing a pickup vs buying

West Central MN (between MMF and Larson's)
32 wcf - 11/23/2022 21:36

So building on that. In 5 years I’ll also have a 5 year old pickup with 100k on it and it would probably be smart to trade at that point. Does it make sense to own then? If I put less miles on per year and wanted to keep it long term I would buy. But if I’m just miling them out I’m thinking it doesn’t make sense to own.

The past 5+ pickups I've had are Diesels. I run until about 80-85,000 and then ask the dealership what kind of deals there are, sometimes they want it done on the spot other times I need to wait and let them worry I'm going somewhere else. This past one I had to order and wait 4-5 months and was at 98k when I brought it in. Previous to that it was almost always a year end clearance special that was likely swapped with a dealer by my local dealer on a locate. Each time was the cost per mile to trade was about the same. My first Duramax probably listed for 45-50k and the last one for 80+. I think the current list prices are stupid high, but all I'm really concerned with is the boot price. The truck is paid for so if the new value is stupid high it doesn't bother me as long as they are giving me stupid money on the trade. This inflation is hurting our kids that are trying to get started and work their way up more than the guy that has stuff paid for.

If the market implodes a diesel can be ran for 200k plus pretty comfortably if needed. Thus far there has always been enough demand for well taken care of used to allow me to trade at 20-25 cents per mile before 100k.

Edited by purplepride0 11/24/2022 10:33
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)