AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

To change the oil or not?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Dirt_Floor_Poor
Posted 9/23/2022 10:10 (#9857629 - in reply to #9857550)
Subject: RE: To change the oil or not?

boog - 9/23/2022 09:28

How many engine hours per year instead of acres? Also, is the combine stored in a heated building or cold? If stored in a cold shed I definetly would change engine oil every year due to condensation inside the engine. If you ever look at an engine block in the winter & there’s condensation on the outside there will be on the inside as well.

Even if stored where it’s warm I’d most likely change it every year anyways. What’s the cost of an oil change & filters compared to an engine overhaul. The least I would do is pull an oil sample but unless you have been doing that consistently you have nothing to compare to. We use to have all our engine oil tested every oil change but we found so many inconsistencies that we quit. For example, had a sample come back showing a high contamination of brass. When I talked to the service manager he said there were no brass parts in that components

We had a 4450 John Deere that was getting hydraulic oil in the engine oil after a dealer repair. They wouldn’t take our word for it even though we knew that’s what it was doing. They demanded we get an oil analysis and the analysis said no hydraulic oil contamination. So they denied liability. They said it must have injector pump and/or injector problems, that wouldn’t be covered under a warranty repair. After doing all that, the problem was still there. After about a year of them trying literally everything else, and several more oil scans, we told them to tear it down again. After the tear down, sure enough, the problem was found. You guessed it, hydraulic oil passing into the engine oil pan. During this whole ordeal the hydraulic oil was also sampled. All was said to be good, only to have a total transmission failure a very short time later. After that experience I really wondered about how useful oil analysis really is.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)