AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

To change the oil or not?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

69Cat
Posted 9/23/2022 10:02 (#9857619 - in reply to #9857387)
Subject: RE: To change the oil or not?

An engine problem because I didn't change the oil after 30 hours of use is going to be very very far down on my list of concerns/causes. But there are guys who get their panties in bunch and need to change the oil in the off season thinking failure is imminent if they don't. Or the old "it doesn't cost much". I can have a very long list of useless things I could be doing because they don't cost much - and that list gets pretty darn expensive.

So does a guy change the oil in fall to get the acids out or in spring to get water out? Or do both. It really doesn't cost much to do both in the big picture, does it?

I change the oil by hours regardless if it is 1 or 5 years and am a lot further north. I remember helping dad roll bearings into a cat 3208 tractor at around 10,000 hours. Is that because the oil wasn't changed off season but rather by hours. Maybe he should have expected 15,000 hours if he went with the idea that oil is cheap so do it both fall and spring. JD 4020 gets the same philosophy, 55 years later and motor hasn't piled up.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)