AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

World record rifle shot
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

twraska
Posted 9/24/2022 08:12 (#9858815 - in reply to #9857671)
Subject: RE: World record rifle shot

Wallis, TX
IH4186 - 9/23/2022 10:40

Really difficult shot. They had to hold (that is the line of the rifle bore) about 9300 feet over the target. The bullet traveled almost a half a mile farther than the 4.4 miles to the target. It took a roundabout path. Plus, by the time it got to the target it was falling about as fast as it was going forward.

As a long ago long-range marksman I am totally impressed. They were maxing out almost too many things to list. Even the best gun smiths have a hard time getting a rifle to shoot under a 1/4 minute of angle. (1 inch group at 400 yards) At 4.4 miles that's almost 30 feet. Getting within 15 feet of center is impressive but almost dead center was a lot of luck.

So, if my math is correct, a 30’ circle is 706 square feet, and a one foot circle is roughly 3/4 square foot, just a little over 1/1000 of the circle. Or, roughly 1-1000 chance of a bullet that hits the circle would land in the bullseye. I’d definitely call that luck. What would impress me is to see a three shot group that landed on paper.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)