AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Not every day is a good day for scubadiving
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

John Burns
Posted 9/22/2022 18:47 (#9856466 - in reply to #9856385)
Subject: RE: Not every day is a good day for scubadiving

Pittsburg, Kansas
I have this particular trip. Been here almost a month with about 45-50 dives.

Since my motorcycle accident my strength in my legs especially and my balance has not been great. I'm a little concerned with shore line entries. I have done some with buddies by following them and touching their tank so I have some help with my balance. Once I am in the water I'm fine.

Accident was last December 6 and was here in Feg-April time frame and did diving that way. Fell down a couple times during entries and at that time was concerned with my strength of being able to get back up without taking my tank off. I'm probably back to 90% now on strength (have gotten a lot better just in the time here) and would do fine strength wise, but had no buddies to dive with other than my wife and she is getting old like I am.

She mostly likes to only dive this house reef (Small Wall and Black Drugon Wall). She is into macro underwater photography as much as the diving and she always has a camera in her hand. So a typical day is after breakfast I will go out and do a 60-90 minute dive by myself. Then after lunch I will go out with her for about the same length of dive. During winter months when the water is about 3 degrees colder our dives will often only be 55-70 minutes because we will get cold after that. She uses either a 53 or 63 cubic ft tank and I use an 80. She will come back with as much or more air pressure than I will, LOL (most new divers or infrequent divers are lucky to get 45-60 minutes under water out of an 80 tank. My wife once did a full two hours on a 50 cu ft tank. I had 1 hr 59 minutes on an 80. But we were only in 15-20' depth water and were not exerting any. :-))

So just been diving here on the house reef. Lots to see here, it is a very good reef. We have four seahorses we visit regularly. Diving the same reef all the time a person really gets to know it. Probably over the years..........have to think........I have probably dove this particular section of the reef at least several hundred times. All different ways and depths to dive it. It is like my back yard.

Been on 32% nitrox all the time so no deep dives this trip (because of the possibility of oxygen toxicity with Enhanced Air Nitrox). Everything above about 110. In the past I would slap on an air tank and go to what little outter reef there is here and go down to about a max of 165. I usually do that by myself. I'm definitely narced big time at that depth and can hear my heart beating so don't go below that and I do it where there is a bottom underneath me for additional safety. This is not advisable nor recomended. 100 is the deepest sport depth recomended with 133 maximum (5 atmospheres pressure). I'll catch the current and go with it at 100' or so and when i see something interesting will drop down to the bottom (125-165 in the area I go) for a couple minutes. I know the reef and area well enough I always know where I am at, even though I can not see the shore line reef out there in the open. East compass heading will always get me back to the shore line.

But my thoughts are wondering and my typing meandering so I will stop.

So yes, this trip I have always been diving off this dock. I never get bored with it.

Edited by John Burns 9/22/2022 18:55
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)