AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Test weight versus yield
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Mark (EC,IN)
Posted 9/22/2022 20:24 (#9856675 - in reply to #9856420)
Subject: RE: Test weight versus yield

Schlegel Farms, Hagerstown Indiana
[email protected] Production - 9/22/2022 18:20

Yes we do get paid on test weight. Our standard contract is $10.75 a bushel and we get a $0.25 premium for anything over 58 pound and $0.50 anything over 62 pound test weight. So I guess I’m still and idiot but that ok.

Against my better judgment, I'm going to make one more post to you on this subject.

The whole premise of the TW argument the other day was if high TW corn yields more, you say it does, but most people (me included) say it doesn't.

You are getting paid a premium for higher TW but not a higher yield.

I'm guessing you sell to someone who feeds the corn, You are getting a monetary premium on heavy TW corn, not paid for a higher yield because of the TW.

The truth is, TW does not even matter (unless it is so low you are getting docked).

Some very high-yielding corns have lower TW and some have Higher TW..... and the same for low-yielding corn.

TW is a result of each hybrid's breeding characteristics and the growing season.

All that matters is how many pounds cross the scale.

High TW is nice (trucks and bins hold more) but it does not affect yield.

You can know a field's yield and not even know the corn's TW, all you need is scales.

Some people try and say: " if the 57# corn had weighed 60# it would have made more".

That doesn't matter because it didn't weigh 60#!....it weighed 57#.

Shell an acre of corn, weigh it and shrink it to 15% moisture .......... the acre that weighs the most yielded the most........doesn't matter what the TW is.

These are two actual entries from my test plot last year:

Dekalb 62-89.......TW 57.3 .......Yield 270.71 BPA ..........(15159# of corn / 56 = 270.71 bushels)

Agrigold 645-80......TW 60.2.....Yield 249.97 BPA ..........(13998# of corn / 56 = 249.97 bushels)

Using your own figures:

The Dekalb would net you: $10.75 X 270.71BPA = $2910/ acre

The Agrigold would net you: ($10.75 + .25) $11.00 X 249.97 + $2749/acre

Which corn would you rather have?

If you disagree, please tell me where my figures are wrong.

Edited by Mark (EC,IN) 9/22/2022 20:39
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)