AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Brand Loyalty
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

WTW
Posted 8/6/2022 21:48 (#9783982 - in reply to #9783853)
Subject: RE: Brand Loyalty

Winkler, Manitoba Canada
robyroad - 8/6/2022 19:41

This is my biggest concern. I'm a little guy and I run older equipment. I can walk into a Deere or Case IH dealer today and get parts for a 4640 or a 1486, and there's good odds they're on the shelf. Try walking into an Agco dealer today and getting parts for a Deutz or late orange A-C that are 20 years newer.
If I was a "buy new and trade every few years" guy, I would absolutely buy Fendt and Massey. They make some really good equipment. But I wouldn't keep it very long, because Agco has proven time and again that they will change course, switch brands, launch brands, cancel brands, and they have also repeatedly shown that they will not support legacy customers down the road when their machines get older.
You can drive around any part of the country today and see scores of 1970's era Deeres and IH's still working, while the same vintage A-C's and Masseys are a rare sight. There is a reason. It also helps that there's a Deere or Case IH dealer every 20 miles, vs. driving 2 hours to find the last Agco dealer left in that part of the state.

Not sure that your reasoning is correct. We have most colors of machinery available to us within 2 miles of the farm yard. Agco(all brands), Versatile, Claas, JD, NH and Case with the addition of numerous shortlines.

Purchased a 1982 White 2-88 last year as a mower/auger tractor. Have picked up parts at the local Agco dealer for it, some in stock and some ordered in. Nothing that I needed NLA yet. This dealer never sold White.

On the other hand if I go to the New Holland dealer for combine parts it becomes apparent that a large number of parts are NLA. Case like wise has many parts for the 4wd tractors NLA. Deere may be slightly better although I have little first hand knowledge as our JD equipment is limited to a small garden/utility tractor and a flexhead. I suspect there are parts support gaps in all the colors. It will also depend on the dealer to a large extent how older machinery is supported. I know that our local Agco/Versatile dealer is always looking for ways to better support customers, from finding places to rebuild or produce obsolete electronics to reproducing shafts for old Versatile transmissions.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)