AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ibuprofen
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

John Burns
Posted 8/4/2022 07:45 (#9779849)
Subject: Ibuprofen

Pittsburg, Kansas

Ibuprofen is good, ibuprofen is bad, depending on who you listen to. I ran across this video that explains its mode of action in terms we mere mortals can understand. For a number of years, I used to take 12 of the standard strength ibuprofen pills a day for pain control. My doctor told me I could take 3 pills 4 times a day or 4 pills three times a day. He had prescribed me stronger pills if I wanted them but said it was cheaper to just buy off the shelf and take more pills, so for the most part I did. I eventually, after quite a few years, began worrying about what it might be doing to me. As time went on and more was learned about the long term effects of the drug there was more general concern about taking it long term. I changed to naproxen for a while and also alternated with Tylenol, but they have their own concerns. No medicine is without side effects.

This video does not say to take ibuprofen or not, but does give some guidelines where it might be ok and might be more risky. I thought it was worth watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zeem6k2bDFk&t=624s

Fortunately I don't need any of it anymore. When I changed my diet of what I ate three years ago, my need for pain medicine went away and stayed away. I will take it if I need it for a short period, but I almost never need it. Even when I had my motorcycle accident I got off the pain meds in very short order. I suspect my body is not nearly inflamed once I quit eating foods that caused the inflammation. That is my speculation on the subject. What is not speculation, is that diet change effectively changed my life for the better in many ways, including the almost elimination of pain control meds.

Edit: I did have lower early morning lower back pain that I was concerned was being caused by my kidneys, which is what first concerned me about the long term effects of taking ibuprofen. That is how I got started on the road to changing pain medications. I no longer have that problem.

Edited by John Burns 8/4/2022 09:01
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)