AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

2 antennas or 1
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 8/7/2022 07:19 (#9784265 - in reply to #9778911)
Subject: RE: 2 antennas or 1

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I agree on the "output" idea. When I first started with GPS, I had two-way radios for communication. I found that when I would transmit (talk) on the combine or tractor radio that GPS would drop out on that vehicle. This was a problem on the planting tractor that was using auto steer. Since the combine didn't have auto steer, the loss of GPS was tolerable.

The solution was to move the antennas as far apart as feasible.

A few years later we abandoned the two-way radios. We don't talk much so we use walkie-talkies between the combine and grain cart and cell phones otherwise. This took care of the interference issues.

A couple of years later, I had a radar failure on the planter tractor that produced the speed output for the planter monitor. My GPS for auto steer did not have a speed out branch, so I purchased one of those Hockey Puck GPS speed only devices. This meant that I had the auto steer GPS and the Hockey Puck speed only devices both on the cab roof at the same time. The auto steer GPS was in the center of the front edge of the cab. The Hockey Puck speed only device was stuck on the corner of the cab roof. They both worked fine with no interference.

If the auto steer GPS would have had the speed out branch I could have use it for the planter monitor.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)