AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Auto or assisted steering on Deere 9770 combine
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 7/28/2022 06:38 (#9769577 - in reply to #9768059)
Subject: Harbor Freight foot switch

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
After posting the above, I picked up a foot switches from Harbor Freight. It is designed to plug into 110VAC and has a 110VAC outlet. The idea is that something such as a drill press can be plugged into the outlet and the operator can run the drill press with the foot pedal. I was able to remove the foot pedal cover by removing a long bolt that acts as the pivot point. This exposed the internal parts.

Inside the wiring was very obvious with the ground and neutral wires going from the cord to the outlet. The "hot" wire went to the switch and the output terminal of the switch was connected to the "hot" terminal of the outlet. Thus when ever the pedal is pushed down the switch completes the circuit. The circuit is broken when the pedal is released. This is the action necessary to produce a pulse to engage many steering systems. The switch is a SPDT switch where the common and N.O. terminals are used. The N.C. terminal is not used but could be for the "opposite" action.

Incidentally, the owner's manual also pertains to another similar looking model. This other model is a latching type where the operator would step on the switch to complete the circuit. When the operator removes pressure from the pedal the circuit remains complete. The operator would push the pedal again to break the circuit. This would be a "click on" and then "click off" arrangement. This would NOT be suitable for engaging steering systems although it could be used for other remote applications. Its behavior would be identical to the floor mounted dimmer switches used in older cars.

I needed to do a bit of rewiring or rearranging. for the switch to be used with the Steady Steer remote engage. I had two choices 1) reuse the existing cord by rearranging the wiring internally and cutting off the 110VAC plug and putting a connector on that end or 2) Remove the original 110VAC cord completely and replace it with two wires and a connector. I went the second route so I now have a loose 110VAC cord and plug for other projects.

I clipped all wires to the 110VAC outlet but left it in to fill the hole. I have one wire connected to the common terminal and another connected to the N.O. terminal of the switch. These wires are 4-5' long and use the 4 pin DTM connector that Ag Leader uses there. Since I have a disconnect for the foot switch, I can easily make another harness for a hand push button switch if I decide I don't care for the foot switch.

Since I am using an older Insight display cable with adapter for the InCommand 1200 in the combine, it doesn't have the high current and activation branches in the display cable. I made a short cable to connect to the switched terminal of the Deere power strip for the activation branch. I made a fairly long harness for the high current power and ran it directly to the battery. I have a 7.5 AMP fuse in the hot wire and the ground goes to the combine chassis back at the battery box. This means my battery disconnect switch that connects the battery negative terminals to the combine chassis will still break all circuits.

The anit-rotation bracket and SMU bracket arrived and I have them installed. I hope to move an InCommand, adapter and GPS to the combine for calibration and testing. The install went smoothly although I seem to have a bolt (about 1/4" x 4") and a very small nut left over in a parts bag. I do not see those items listed in the parts list so hopefully they are not needed.

Edited by tedbear 7/29/2022 08:21
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)