AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Auto or assisted steering on Deere 9770 combine
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 7/25/2022 10:37 (#9765463)
Subject: Auto or assisted steering on Deere 9770 combine

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I am considering adding auto or assisted steering to my Deere 9770 combine. I bought the combine used, I don't believe the former owner used any type of auto or assisted steering. I do not have any Deere precision displays in any of my equipment. I have 3 InCommand 1200's and 3 GPS 6500's unlocked for Glonass and TerraStar. I use them for steering tractors and controlling the planter, sprayer and yield monitoring. Neither my combine nor Hagie spray have any assisted or auto steer.

I use an InCommand in my Deere 8310R planting tractor with the current SteerCommand Z2 running with Deere's CAN system. This works well. I have two SteerCommands (Not Z2's) in an 8310 and and 8120 tractor. Those tractors use an external steering valve. I no longer need the auto steering in the 8120 so its components would be available..

I think this gives me choices. 1) move the non Z2 Steer Command ECU from the 8120, use a kit to control the Deere steering valve on the combine (assuming it is there and workable). 2) temporarily move the Steer Command Z2 ECU from the 8310R tractor to the combine for harvest and move it back for planting. This would again assume the combine system is present and compatible. 3) Use a steering assisted approach by using the SteerCommand Z2 from the 8310R and a Steady Steer steering wheel drive motor. This could possibly be moved to the Hagie STS-10 sprayer also. In any case, I would be using one of my GPS 6500s with a TerraStar subscription for planting, spraying, harvest.

Later edit: the Z2 in the 8310R tractor cannot be used with Steady Steer. It was built during a chip shortage and only works with a CAN system. This means a new Z2 would be necessary and more desirable anyway.

I'm interested in experiences you might have with any of these approaches. There may be obstacles I have not considered. Thanks

Edited by tedbear 7/27/2022 07:14
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)