AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

2230 JD digger? Floating hitch or rigid style?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

BFarm
Posted 7/3/2022 12:58 (#9731992 - in reply to #9731883)
Subject: RE: 2230 JD digger? Floating hitch or rigid style?

WCIL
We've had a 50' floating hitch 2210 (c-shank, 5 bar spike) for 12 seasons now, coming from a 45' 980 with 2 gauge wheels. I personally like the floating hitch better and will not go back. We have a lot of wet mucky gumbo river bottom soil that is often times dry on top, wet underneath and soft. I've not seen the main frame wheels sink in unless it is pure "get stuck, never should have been there" type mud. In fact, I think it stays up on top better because their are 6 more wheels in front to help carry the weight (18 tires total on ours). I would agree that the weight is off the drawbar, but we've not had any issues with that as far as how close we can get to a wet hole or needing to lift it out any worse than a fixed hitch style. We have a 4wd tractor on it so it is plenty heavy anyway, yet stays on top with the big tire footprint. We have mostly flat ground, but it works well where we have dry dams, humps or swales. I still tweak the depth a little in extreme terrain changes because there is a lot of draft and horsepower involved. I can't dispute what the other farmers experienced on their soil types, but I've not seen it here unless as previously stated it is pure mud, in which the tractor will probably sink in too. Another side advantage is during road transport, you have 2 extra wheels carrying the load for those times you pull over to the shoulder in traffic and hit a hole. We bent the wheel arm frame on our 980 and had to have it cut off the rockshaft and rewelded back straight. A lot of weight hanging on there. I don't think you can go wrong either way. Heavy machines for the high hp we us today. Good luck.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)