AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Loading out old corn, sick as a dog now
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

ccjersey
Posted 7/3/2022 14:22 (#9732084 - in reply to #9731669)
Subject: RE: Loading out old corn, sick as a dog now

Faunsdale, AL
You got the diagnosis right. Problem is, it’s a catch all diagnosis so you may have gotten too many of some variety of mold spores, but in my experience won’t have trouble with those again. Some other variety can lay you low again.

I had it happen to me. We used to fill 10 upright concrete silos with corn silage every year and even with tarps covering the top, every one would have to have the rotten moldy silage forked off and the surface leveled before starting the unloader. As a teenager, I got my case of moldy dust “flu” after working in a silo with several other guys that never had a sniffle from it. Never had another case of it but had a young man working for us and he got it after helping clean off a silo. Again he was the only one on the job to have trouble.

Probably 20 years after my first case I was checking corn in a bin and found a moldy hunk of corn about as large as a small wheelbarrow. I decided the best thing to do was to just pitch it all out the roof hatch. Of course I got a face full since the fan was on and blowing up through the grain and out the hatch. That night I had the same bone crushing aches and fever I remembered from before. It feels like if your teeth would just go on and fall out of your head you could get some relief from the pain! By the next day much better and the day after completely normal.

So, lots of other things that can cause similar symptoms and people do get long term problems that are called farmers’ lung, but acute symptoms after exposure to moldy dust is a thing different from all the rest.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)