AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Loading out old corn, sick as a dog now
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

VMUSA1
Posted 7/3/2022 08:44 (#9731669)
Subject: Loading out old corn, sick as a dog now

Illinois Heartland

I've been tasked with cleaning out some old corn out of some grain bins. Amazingly, the corn looks pretty good other than a little crusty on top.  However, the dust is unreal.

I've religiously worn an N-95 mask because of the dust, but after the 2nd day I started getting a sore throat.  On the third day, I finished cleaning out the first bin and the dust was thick on the drying floor after the sweep auger passed around.  It made a huge cloud outside the bin from the unloading auger as I was finishing brooming it out. 

Later that evening, I started getting really sick and started running a fever and have a headache that nothing will touch.  By the next morning, I couldn't even get out of bed and was wondering if I was even going to make it.  Later that day, my wife started getting sick as well.  She was working out in the yard a 1,000' away when I was doing the final cleaning on the first bin.  She said when she was working, she could smell the grain dust as the wind must have been blowing in that direction.

Today, I'm a little better and will probably head to convenient care.  I can't stop coughing and have a massive sore throat that even whiskey won't numb.

Doing a little research, I'm guessing I probably have "Organic Dust Toxic Syndrome" from the moldy grain.

I've got 2 more bins to clean out and not looking forward to it now.  

I've been looking online trying to find a solution for a better respirator to use and was wondering if anyone had some suggestions?

Edited by VMUSA1 7/4/2022 07:27
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)