AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Can someone post a link for the Atrazine Public Comment Page?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Ron..NE ILL..10/48
Posted 7/3/2022 08:53 (#9731687 - in reply to #9731602)
Subject: RE: Can someone post a link for the Atrazine Public Comment Page?....Yes!

Chebanse, IL.....

Prohibit application during rain or when a storm event, likely to produce runoff from the treated area, is forecasted to occur within 48 hours following application; 

How often is the 48 hr forecast (meaning 2 days after you apply) accurate for just about anything other than temperature. Forecasters seem to do OK on temps, terrible on rainfall & terrible on wind forecast. This is based on real world experience, not something I've read on the internet.

The problem I see on forecasted precip of any type is reliability. We've all seen (like now) the local forecasts for anticipated rain amount to 0.0000, while sizable amounts were forecast. In essence, you may never be able to apply ATZ if the forecast is wrong. Another question....whose forecast? Then again, what if 1.0" is forecast & you receive 2.5" in your area? Are you now less responsible? Another question.....whose rain measurement?

Re. rates. Note the wording says, "
2 pounds of active ingredient or less per acre per year or les for applications to sorghum, field corn, and sweet corn."

It seems that wording indicates the EPA may restrict anyone to LESS than 2# per acre in corn. Otherwise the wording would've been "no more than 2# a.i. etc."

I realize I'm digging too deeply, but anyone can violate a rule accidentally & be in deep crap for it. The enforcement? Just like FSA violations, or present Dept of Ag drift violations and application rules, the enforcements happens when your neighbor that lost a farm to you, or anyone files a complaint with Dept of Ag. At least that's the way it works in IL. Can be done anonymously.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)