AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Crop Conditions - Disappointing
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

gregrundell
Posted 6/30/2022 22:22 (#9728692 - in reply to #9728432)
Subject: RE: Crop Conditions - Disappointing

Garden City Ks
I’m down here in SW KS , there’s a lot of pivots around here as well. Mine are nozzled at 800 GPM 700 GPM and 300 GPM. The ones that are nozzlesd at 700 and 800 GPM require two wells pumping into them. The 300 GPM system has just one well I started it tonight on double crop Milo it will take about 48 hours to put a half inch on a regular 1/4 mile machine 1/2 circle roughly 60 acres. Down here we basically pump on Corn from mid June until early September. In my area most wells pump from the Ogalalla Aquifer and pump anywhere from 150 GPM TO over 1000 GPM in the strong water areas. When pivot irrigation started in the 60’s there were large swaths of sand hills broke out of native grass and developed into irrigated farms. Most of these were old ranch’s that had raised nothing but a few cows. But most pivot are 1300 feet long those are setup on 1/4 sections 120 acre circles. They can be made about any length you need up to 2640 feet which cover a full 640 acre section. They say you need 5 GPA per minute as a minimum for full irrigation so a 120 acre circle would require 600 GPM water source. A good portion of the circles I know of are just right around that or slightly below. I try to get an inch a week around, but in weather like this the Corn still looks tough in the afternoons. Here we water in the day because we can’t keep up as it is! Lol

Edited by gregrundell 6/30/2022 22:25
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)