AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Question on antibiotic residues
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

RFI90
Posted 6/30/2022 13:44 (#9728025 - in reply to #9725988)
Subject: RE: Question on antibiotic residues

Northeast Iowa
Russ,

I ran your question by a friend who works at Iowa State University's College of Veterinary Medicine. The response is below:

"Here is a link for you to get started, in answer to your question: https://www.niamrre.org/ . Dr. Locke Karriker leads the swine group over in the production animal side of things and serves on the Presidential Advisory Council on Combating Antibiotic-Resistant Bacteria; he serves as a voting member.

As to the discussion with the auditor:

1. What is her name?

2. She associates “finding traces of antibiotic at slaughter time” with “ever being treated in life”. I am curious to know WHAT antibiotics are detected and by what method.

3. Long ago in a galaxy far, far away these compounds were called antibiotics because of their source: other bacteria. I would expect normal bacterial flora (now known as ‘biota”) to have detectable levels of AMR’s simply because our means of detection are such that 1 English pea could be found in an Olympic-sized swimming pool.

4. This then begs the question of method used to detect AMR’s of which she spoke. If “PCR” is the method cited, nucleic acids are detected, not other compounds. However, PCR could detect genes (bacterial and otherwise) that code for AMR’s. "
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)