AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Straight truck vs single axle semi maneuverability
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

GM Guy
Posted 6/29/2022 09:11 (#9726319 - in reply to #9725150)
Subject: RE: Straight truck vs single axle semi maneuverability

NW KS/ SC ID
If traction is important, a straight truck with hendrickson walking beam or Mack Camelback will be as close to unstoppable as a non-powered steer axle rig on highway rated tires can get.

That said, I kinda hate straight trucks. lol lots of extra weight, high center of gravity, more stuff to fail, etc.

We have a single axle semi with a pair of grain hoppers, and I love the combo in the summer when its dry. In the fall when its wet in Idaho, I kinda hate it. lol Even with diff lock and heavy lugged tires, it still gets stuck easy.

If you plan on doubles, plan on good gearing or plenty of power, or both. small engines need 13 speeds, and many dont have it. our M11 will play with the load in 9th, but 10th is too big of jump.

Maneuverability is unmatched, there is a reason California farmers with tight roads and busy traffic love single axle tractors and doubles. Straight trucks can be turning pigs if the wrong truck was used to build the setup. A good friend has a IH 9370 eagle straight truck, and while it looks cool, I dont like it. its air ride, and that adds alot of sway, and our 96 volvo with a sleeper and a 50' 3 axle hopper can cut a tighter circle at the elevator (180 degree turn out of the pit to get back to the scale, I can make the 180 in 1 shot, the IH has to do a 3 pt turn) the doubles we leave out in Idaho, and there is a driveway that really is only fit for a pickup, and I can squeak out of there with the doubles. Very impressed with how short the turn circle is.

So if you can deal with the poor traction of the setup, I think you'll like the single axle hopper setup.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)