AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

AWS tube repair
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

ccjersey
Posted 6/27/2022 11:05 (#9723537 - in reply to #9723404)
Subject: RE: AWS tube repair

Faunsdale, AL
A 20’ would be better than a 30’!

Tig seems to be the way to go
Spool gun MIG will work if it’s set up right
A regular MIG gun if fairly short and care is taken to keep it pretty straight, MIGHT work. Aluminum wire is soft!

Finding a piece to slip over the two ends might be a challenge.

Had a buddy weld up a bunch of damaged aluminum irrigation pipe with his spool gun. It was time consuming and probably not worth his time, but we needed some joints asap and he was willing. So it can be done.

My understanding is that aluminum has to be clean with no oxide and have no ferrous metal contamination from grinding wheels etc.

My attempts with a spool gun have been more successful on aluminum alloy castings than drawn tube. Even then, not all castings seem to be good candidates.

One thing you might try is a pack of the aluminum “brazing” rods you use with a torch. I saw some advertised online and one day I had an AC line I wanted to try to salvage, so I picked up a pack from Tractor supply.

Didn’t end up being able to seal it up because of a bracket covering the end of the cracked area, but where I had good access to it, the things worked as advertised. I was surprised.

Edited by ccjersey 6/27/2022 11:14
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)