AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Starting a new grove?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

johnny skeptical
Posted 6/27/2022 06:33 (#9723130 - in reply to #9722981)
Subject: RE: Starting a new grove?

n.c.iowa

Haven’t found a popular yet that’ll last longer than 30 years. Nice looking trees then all of a sudden, dead.

we’ve got several groves that were planted in in the early-late seventies that have mixtures of trees. One has a row of lilacs the others have the obligatory honeysuckle hedge and one has the red twig dogwood.

the dogwood is probably more resistant to being broke down in the snow, followed by the lilac, and then the honeysuckle. I like the lilacs better because of when they flower and the seem to like to be trimmed back every-so-often and will shoot new growth.

as far as the pines we’ve just about given up on the blue spruce, we have better luck with the black hills spruce, have one grove that was planted red cedar, about half of those have died because of cedar apple rust. The rest have survived only because of intensive fungicide spraying.

replaced the dead ones with black hills spruce which seem to thrive in that environment. My dad has planted several scotch pines over the years in his grove, it seems if he can get them to survive the first five to six years then they take off. As they mature I like the looks of them.

we’ve planted several clump maples over the years, I like the looks of them. But they’ll kinda start falling apart over time.

the invasion of the ash borer has made the deciduous tree choice a lot tougher.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)