AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How much would you pay for an ear tag that lasts?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Dirtfarmer1000
Posted 6/27/2022 09:11 (#9723371 - in reply to #9722255)
Subject: RE: How much would you pay for an ear tag that lasts?

Alberta
$2.50-$3.00. If you use good ink that bites into tags, any Tag on the market will be legible for the life of the tag. We use brisket ID tags for close to permanent retention, We used to use "Boc-Loc" brisket tags, they have a steel hasp that would not break, if installed right, there was pretty much a 100 percent retention rate, but they were made with a plastic that no ink would burn into. You could pre order them with numbers, but those numbers would fade after a few years, and I prefer my own numbering and lettering system. We changed over to "Permaflex" brisket tags, they are a great tag, big enough to wright large numbers, ink will burn and the numbers will not fade, but they have a plastic hasp and the hooks will pull out when the get caught on a bunk or tree the odd time. Retention is about 95 percent over the life of a beef cow, but we still have to retag a few each year. If I could get a brisket tag with a steel hasp that was large and ink would bite into like the permaflex, but with a steel hasp like the Boc-Loc, I would pay $5.00 plus for that. We have been using Ketcham steel curl lock ear tags as a backup for years in case they loose their ID numbers from the ear tag, RFID or brisket and really, if you want to keep good records and an ID system, the steel curl lock ear tag is 99.99 percent retained in cows if they are put on correctly. I don't think any plastic ear tag, regardless of they type of plastic is going to be permanent. to many things to catch them on and even if they are well made, they will just rip the ear if they get caught on a string , wire or twine. For those who think that brisket tags are to tough to put in , I have done a couple thousand over the last 30 years. A good headgate and a pair of punch pliers are all thats needed to do a cow. Takes about a minute or less per animal, but well worth the time for the retention of ID numbers and records.

Edited by Dirtfarmer1000 6/27/2022 09:29
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)