AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Pivot woes
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Deltamudd
Posted 6/26/2022 20:56 (#9722738 - in reply to #9722664)
Subject: RE: Pivot woes

Oh you know. I just like the extra work.

It’s an old pivot and it’s got a lot of mismatched parts. That tire sits a little close. It was easier for me to pull the tire than try to mess with getting two 7/16ths wrenches and my hands in between there for five tiny rusted out bolts. I just used a metal grinder and it didn’t take too long. I was able to get the other side easier . But idk it was 99 degrees and it felt like 103. Humidity was prbly 100%. Maybe I wasnt thinking straight. But sitting there hunched over a tire trying to unscrew tiny rusted nuts in the delta heat is more effort than just dropping a tire and cutting it off in my opinion. all I had on me were impact sockets and they didn’t fit on the u joint. One method required I used power tools. The other method would of been a lot of knuckle busting. Whoever designed those old u joints with 2 different sizes of nuts on them and four unnecessary bolts was a dunce

Also the system went down so I walked out to the tower. Immediately noticed the drive shaft laying on the ground so I replaced that u joint. Went and started the pivot. It ran for a second then dead again. Went back out there and saw the same drive shaft down again except the other u joint was out. So I replaced it. Started it agin and it died again. Went back to the tower and checked the other u joints (Praying it’s not a gear box or motor) and I noticed both of those u joints were out which is prbly why the other side snapped. In hindsight I should have known. But that drive shaft was still in place and had the covers on them and everything. I should have checked the first time tho. Was just so eager to get it back going. So anyway I then replaced those two u joints and I was about to put the drive shaft in place when the wind and lighting picked up and I could see rain on the north end of the farm. Prbly got an inch and half of rain. Hoping it’s just u joints. They were all of the “old” make and none that I’ve replaced before so maybe I’ll get lucky. Still didn’t get a chance to start it back up the third time.

And that’s a long message I know for a reply that can be summed up with “it was easier, trust me bro”

I’ve had two u joints go out before but never four like this. Although I’d argue it was three and the fourth was operator error. But having two of these old ones break on the same driveshaft within a short timeframe I’ve seen before. So I didn’t think much of it

Also when I was posting this I was wondering who would be the guy to ask that

Edited by Deltamudd 6/26/2022 21:08
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)