AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

“Entertaining” kids in church
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Illfarmr2
Posted 6/26/2022 20:36 (#9722694 - in reply to #9722096)
Subject: Thank God you are

Having this discussion. When I grew up, it just was expected, kids should be seen and not heard. When our own kids started coming to church with us, one old bitch would stare at kids until the parents just quit coming.

Our son-in-law is a minister. The first time we attended one of their services, we were blown away. They encouraged kids attendance in several ways, including children’s service and children’s choir. They even encouraged them to be on church board committees, something I’d never seen before. One old guy was known to ALL the kids as the Candyman. If they approached him, he would ask a polite question, even if it was just how are you, and then give them a piece of candy. He had three year old children approaching him. After he died, his widow has stepped up, and many of those kids are now adults bringing their kids to church.

I have a twelve year old on an adult committee and a youth committee. I can easily see her becoming a messenger for Christ as an adult. But most of all, do whatever works best to get the kids involved.

PS. The Methodist church I grew up in has merged with another, and Sunday attendance has dropped from 100-120 thirty years ago to twenty or so very elderly people today. But at least they don’t have any kids to bother them. Of course, the United Methodist Church is doing its best to drive a wedge between the remaining members. I have a couple gay friends, and I can accept them as they are. But the idea I have to celebrate their gayness is a step too far.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)