AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

.35 caliber rifles, what ya got?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

WYDave
Posted 6/26/2022 19:34 (#9722579 - in reply to #9721823)
Subject: RE: .35 caliber rifles, what ya got?

Wyoming

The 760/7600's have slaughtered a lot of deer up and down the midwest. They didn't gain the reputation as the "Mennonite Machine Gun" for no reason - they're very fast to cycle, and they're accurate enough for game shots out to 200 yards.

Military bolt action rifles used to be 2 MOA rifles - and they did just fine out to 300 yards (and then some) on targets much smaller (on average) than deer or elk. Most pump/lever action rifles are probably 2.5 MOA rifles - and out to 250 yards, they'll take game quite well.

Lots of people think they need 1/4 MOA bolt guns in chamberings that shoot like a laser out to 600 yards to hunt here in the west. Not really so - most people can't dope the wind out past 200 yards.

I can tell you that I've had customers who brought me well-used Winchester 94's and Marlin 36's in .30-30 who take an elk or two every year with them - with iron sights. In the tight timber, where the elk go during elk season, you can't see much beyond 50 to 70 yards - so what use is a laser-like bolt action rifle? A lever-action carbine with fast-acquisition iron sights does more good in the tight timber. 

For the best of both worlds, I echo the choice of a Browning BLR. I have one in .308 and it is a slick, slick handling rifle for me.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)