AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

hydraulic planter drive problem riddle
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

WTW
Posted 6/26/2022 08:05 (#9721602 - in reply to #9721179)
Subject: RE: hydraulic planter drive problem riddle solution

Winkler, Manitoba Canada
1) Ruled out a hydraulic tip by installing a tee'd coupler arrangement into the return line and running the planter. Recreated the pressure spike but return pressure gauge never moved.

2) Planting edible beans at slightly more than 80,000 seeds/acre we are at or slightly beyond the maximum recommended speed of the planter meter. I wondered whether the meter with seed could somehow be jamming at higher speeds. Removed all the drive chains from planter as it is clean up time in any case. Problem persisted. This also eliminates the suggestion of a bearing problem in the planter.

3) As we now were down to hydraulic problems we decided to tee a gauge into the system to see what was causing the high pressure. Possibilities seemed to be an internally collapsing hose or a poppet valve not operating correctly. We started at the return side of the daisy chained motors and started working our way across the planter. While we could recreate the pressure spike problem we did not get any noticeable pressure problem on our extra gauge until we got to the pressure side of the first drive motor. We thought our shutoff poppet valve was somehow checking on this motor. We removed the valve from the housing and installed an appropriate plug and ran system again with the problem surprisingly still present. Hydraulic motor is apparently failing.

I am not sure how the suggestion of a bad speed encoder would create the hydraulic pressure problem spike that the planter was experiencing as the planter operated fine if we just kept the speed down slightly. I kind of wondered whether the pressure sender was faulty and failing but you could hear the tractor load up when the pressure spiked.

Edited by WTW 6/26/2022 08:16
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)