AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

??old JOHN DEERE SIDE grinding type of grindstone stone use
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

School Of Hard Knock
Posted 6/24/2022 22:36 (#9719912)
Subject: ??old JOHN DEERE SIDE grinding type of grindstone stone use

just a tish NE of central ND
What were they used for originally?
I have in my possession several grinding stones that are made to grind on the side of the end NUT end of the stones and not on the outer diameter.They are pretty good quality stones.I BELIEVE THEY had to be for some sort of forage harvester cutter head knives knives or sharpening of traveling feeder knives on a hammer mill or something, but it is something that I forgot to ask my dad about during his living days and now I can no longer ask him what the stones and spindle shafts came from. HE BOUGHT them off of an auction sale in the late 70's, and mounted one of them against a 1 hp motor with a love-joy coupler and attached the spindle bearing/frame/ to a table where he also made and attached a homemade jig/guide to lay the straight Gehl and JD # 6 forage harvester knives into the jig and slid those chopper knives back and forth to sharpen them with a perfect straight and sharp edge. The stones are on a shaft maybe a foot long and have a attached bracket to them and a stone guard and are painted John Deere green.They appear that they were once part of a machine that you could run the machine and sharpen the knives on board the machine using tractor power to run the grinder right on the machine.. The grinders have the cast iron handles and a bolt with thumb screw tied to them that MY dad used as handles to hold on to the knives during sharpening. The handles just attached through the chopper knife holes.
WHAT GREEN and probably JD machine used a END type grinding stone to sharpen blades with like I described above?

Edited by School Of Hard Knock 6/24/2022 22:37
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)