AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Pole shed door setups
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Jeff in ND
Posted 6/23/2022 11:29 (#9717712)
Subject: Pole shed door setups

RR Valley, ND; MN native
Not sure where to post this....

There is a pole shed on the farm, built in '74 I believe. Has a pair of sliding doors each end that meet in the middle.

To keep them from moving when closed, the original design was there is a long 2x6 that sets in some slots on each end (bracket on the poles for the door opening/frame). The doors are kept together with a chain with hooks that gets slid down 2 rods at angles at the meeting point in the middle.

Then, there are a bunch of hooks and turnbuckets with eyebolts attached to the 2x6 that hook onto more eyebolts on the door inside 2x4 framing itself.

This setup is always a pain to take out or put in whenever the doors are opened. My Dad was a stickler for never leaving open doors and getting that 2x6 support put in and all the hardware tight so the wind could not get it loose.

The renter keeps some of his equipment in this shed now and either he or hired help are not as detail obsessed, unfortunately. Also, over time, that 2x6 and hardware has gotten damaged and a lot of the hooks and so on are damaged, etc.

What is the "modern" way doors like this are secured from wind? Shed is dirt floor and I would not want to put some post in the center even sticking up a little that could get driven on and damage tires, etc. Right now, my only thought is to rebuild what is there now to fix the damage. But, that does not cure the lazy and all those hooks and so on take time to do so often get neglected.

A couple of big winds have come through this month and doors are taking a beating from poor restraints.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)