AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Do other areas have gravel deposits?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

WJKEIGER
Posted 6/21/2022 09:04 (#9714681 - in reply to #9714372)
Subject: RE: Do other areas have gravel deposits?

nw NC
MaineFarmer - 6/21/2022 03:14

Very interesting,,here you would be headline news and in jail if you ever attempted to use stones /gravel from a stream/brook/river ...we dont have creeks here,,hehe

In this area, from the time of the beginning use of automobiles, dirt roads were improved by the addition of sand and gravel that was removed from nearby creeks and rivers throughout the area. My mother told of her memories of seeing chain gangs of prison convicts being used to hand shovel sand and gravel from the creek that passed through her father's farm. State highway dept. dump trucks backed down a slope into the shallow water of the creek and the convicts loaded the trucks which then transported and spread it on the roadways. This was in the 1930's.
I remember in the late 1950's, 60's (and it probably persisted into the 70's) that the state would use draglines to removed sand and gravel from creeks and rivers from many sites near where bridges would cross those streams. There are few dirt roads left around here now, so when they need surface material added, the state gets crushed stone material from commercial quarries. I believe that the EPA put a stop to removing sand and gravel from streams by draglines saying that it caused the water to be muddied. There is a sand company that uses a barge mounted dredge to remove sand from the Yadkin River about seven miles from here.

(Capture Yadkin river sand (full).JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Capture Yadkin river sand (full).JPG (109KB - 28 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)