AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Land Lord says no corn
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

tkoppel
Posted 6/22/2022 20:11 (#9716830 - in reply to #9716465)
Subject: RE: Land Lord says no corn

Sanilac Co. Michigan
KDD - 6/22/2022 15:03

tkoppel said, ...."might just stave off weed resistance and an opportunity to target some weeds that are hard to manage in a corn/soybean rotation."....

I don't understand how going from three crops down to two with a much narrower set of choices on herbicides is going to allow anyone to better address weed resistance with fewer chems to choose from???

Well, on the surface, that's a fair point. 3× should be better than 2×. However, I took the poster to mean an occasional crop of wheat and generally a corn/soy rotation. The thing with wheat, or any small grain for that matter, is a change up in chemistry. You know you're not limited to 24d. Too, time of application and targeting winter annuals can be a big plus. Wheat also keeps living roots in the soil through the winter and some say that's good for soil health. Don't overlook the production of biomass to either sell or return to the soil. Also, if establishing cover crops is a concern, particularly in growing season challenged locations, I can't think of a better crop rto enable a guy to expand his cover crop options.
Not saying it's better or worse rotation than corn/soy. Just saying it does bring some unique benefits to the table.

Anyway, just trying to look on the bright side of the posters dilemma.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)