AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

well water suddenly turning everything blue
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Jay NE Ohio
Posted 6/20/2022 07:24 (#9713203)
Subject: well water suddenly turning everything blue

northeastern Ohio
This is a new one for me. Mom called last night and said that her water is suddenly turning everything blue. Here is the back story:

Mom and Dad bought this house at a Sheriff sale about 5 years ago. The well water was horrible. Iron algae was rampant. Tried flushing and treating but could not get it cleared up. Everything turned orange and it was not drinkable. Decided to drill a new well about 3 years ago. New well has plastic casing. Water softener installed from day one. All plastic piping from well to house. House has copper plumbing. No iron algae problems with new well. Water was great until yesterday.

Reading online, suggestions include:

1) checking water pH to see if it is acidic. Acidic water will cause copper pipes to corrode and leach copper into water which stains fixtures.

2) do not use copper pipes for electrical grounding

3) Bronze fixtures release zinc when they corrode

2 and 3 do not apply to Mom's house, so that leaves pH as the likely culprit. I have dozens of water wells (rental houses and dairy farm) and never had a pH problem. Google says there are a few treatment options: http://www.purewateroccasional.net/wtiacidicwater.html

I'm going to test the water pH today. What is the prefered treatment if pH is the problem? Or should I be looking at something else? Water softener has not used much salt in the past year, but I do not know how much it used prior to that.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)